Thursday, September 7, 2017

Review of Orphan Island by Laurel Snyder



I read this entire story as an extended metaphor about a young girl's transition to adulthood. I was fascinated by the magic of the island as Jinny introduces it to her Care. I loved the winds that support the children when they jump into them, how the snakes never bite, and how the children know how to dry out fruit to make a sort of candy. As the story unfolded, I wanted to know who sent these children here, who created the rules, and why do they have to leave at a certain time? When Jinny refuses to follow the rules, the island seems to "break." I want to know what happens next. Does Jinny succeed in saving Loo? Is the island forever ruined for the children? I salute the artistry of the story but I found the ending super frustrating. I was left with too many questions. I wanted the island to be a fully thought out world, but Snyder leaves her readers at sea with Jinny.

No comments:

Post a Comment